05 July, 2008

Round 2

Round 2 is not a failure. Technically its a forfeit. Sort of. Here's the story:

I have a tendency to make things very complicated. Just look at ALL of my toy shots. So for this round, I figured I'd follow in the footsteps of notable toy photographer David Levinthal and keep things simple. (Even though my favorite series of his is Hitler Moves East, which has a fair amount of production involved). With that in mind, I wanted to cerate a nice, simple, graphic type of shot. So I did. It was all right, nothing that couldn't be easily repeated. I had mixed feelings about it. Well, I began the post production on it and everything just fell into place. So I shot a second toy and now that I knew what I was doing, was even more excited about the shoot. I say more excited because at times I feel I lack the artistic vision to really do simple pieces. Am I over compensating by making things grand? Quite possible. Am I just sitting in a comfort zone, knowing that I can make up for part of the design of a shot with knick knacks and the right props? Could be. So this was really a good exercise for me and it was successful. Successful enough to feel that this can only really be realized as a triptych, or larger. Right now, I only have two and it feels incomplete. So instead of rushing and posting the two I have, I'm going to wait. I still need to get a hold of the third subject, which has proven quite difficult. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to find the piece I need, but will it be in time to finish out Round 3? Only time will tell. So tune in next week (or thereabouts), same Bat-Time, same Bat Channel!

No comments: